In TCM each season relates to a specific organ system
, body part and its elemental quality. Within each season certain organs are more vulnerable to the changes in weather, emotions and climate. In spring our liver is more susceptible to unforeseen changes like the winds of emotions that can change rapidly and stir inside. TCM in Spring
- Spring is related to wood, a time of growth and transformation.
- In weakness we can feel frustrated and angry and the body will feel tight and restricted.
- Alcohol, processed foods and heavy meats can be reduced now.
- Getting treatment for emotional health is good at this time.
TCM in Summer
- Summer is our earth phase of the seasons, a time for building health and healing the physical body.
- It’s a time to be grounded and create foundations for future things to come.
- Energy around us become abundant now and we naturally feel active and alive with life.
- In weakness we can worry and feel anxious, the muscles will ache and lose strength.
- Damp can easily reside in the body at this time bringing feelings of muzziness, heavy joints and poor digestion.
- Getting treatment for digestive problems is good at this time.
TCM in High Summer
TCM in Autumn
- High Summer or Summer heat is a phase between summer and autumn where the heat is higher.
- Sometimes this is referred to as ‘Indian summer’. This phase relates to fire and our heart. This is our last reprise, a time to express our full energy and release the excess or cultivate this additional energy for self-healing.
- In weakness we feel exhausted and hot. There may be problems with blood and its harmony of flow.
- Dryness can easily upset the balance and we have thirst, heat and a feeling of being overwhelmed.
- Getting treatment for physical pain is good at this time.
- In Autumn we move into the metal phase and the lungs are vulnerable.
- Metal can be hard, reflective and very much to the point. It is a time of certainty and there is work to be done! This is a time of reflection, realising what we have built over the year so far, where have we invested our time and energy.
- It’s a time to decide what has been useful and what we wish to hold onto and work with in the future. Its also a time of letting go of the things that do not serve our journey forward.
- Our lungs relate to sadness, grief and a sense of loss. The leaves on the trees are falling and with it goes the activity of nature’s magical array. The animals begin to store foods and create warm homes in preparation. It’s time to get affairs in order and prepare for the cold and stillness of winter.
- In weakness our immune system is low, we feel vulnerable and sometimes low in spirit.
- Shoulders can be problematic at this time of year. Aches, pains, and injuries in the shoulders are most common now. As this is a time to let go, carrying the burdens of emotions can weigh the shoulders down.
- The lungs bring us fresh Qi and Wei Qi (protective energy) for the body and mind so being mindful of efficient, relaxed and deep breathing is paramount at this time of change.
TCM in Winter
- The colder, winter months are a time for stillness, restoration and nourishment. This is our water phase and relates to the kidneys, our energy storage.
- Good foods that bring warmth and supply the body with the essential building blocks that repair and restore the reserves we use through the more active seasons are needed now.
- As with water when it is frozen, life becomes less active with less natural flow at this time of year. In weakness, as energy lessens, we can feel a lack of will power and the back and bones may ache. We sit more than we should, and rest more than the body needs so getting out into nature and keeping the lungs and blood moving is needed now.
- Qigong, walking and Tai Chi are great remedies for winter.
- Salt and raw foods can be reduced, cold foods and drinks can drain much needed warmth now. Soups, broths, casseroles and foods that require lengthy cooking are recommended now.
- Winter is a time to just sit back, relax and wait for the emergence of spring and a new cycle of activity.
- Getting treatment for lower back pain, achy bones, fatigue and chronic headaches is good at this time.