Here, Cathy offers easy, actionable ways for you to find your ‘inner happy’ and bring a little Laughter Therapy into your own life:
- Laughing on your own is great, but laughing with others is better. Fortunately, even if you’re home alone there is a way for you to laugh with a group. Call the free ‘Rise & Shine Laughter Line’ Monday – Friday 8am – 8.10am on 0333 3000 310 and then enter the pin number: 55511151 You’ll be connected to the group call with other laughers! Simply take a deep breath and join in.
- Smile at yourself in the mirror every day, for ten seconds. Smiling kicks off a chemical reaction in the brain, releasing certain hormones including dopamine and serotonin. You’ll feel an instant lift!
- Watch funny films that you know will make you laugh and laugh bigger than you usually do. Just as in a laughter class, if you give your body a nudge it will soon run with it.
- Listen to music and sing along, or dance! Both singing and dancing release endorphins and offer a ‘fight or flight’ release similar to laughing.
- Develop an attitude of gratitude. Spend 5 minutes a day listing what you have to be grateful for in your life. Or as you come across them during the day, speak out loud or make a mental note – “I am grateful for this…”